Biggar Gasworks (Historic Scotland site)
The World's first public gas company, the Gas Light and Coke Company of London, was set up in 1812 to provide gas for both street lighting and private householders. It was a great success and the gas industry grew rapidly.
By 1839 even a town as small as Biggar had its own gasworks. Over the years, the works at Biggar were altered and expanded to keep up with the increasing demand. A major reconstruction brought Biggar Gasworks into more or less its present form.
In 1973, when natural gas from the North Sea came to Biggar, the works closed down. However, unlike other gasworks it was not demolished. Instead, it has been preserved for future generations by Historic Buildings and Monuments and the National Museums of Scotland.
Biggar Gasworks is the only preserved gasworks left in Scotland.
Contact Biggar Gasworks (Historic Scotland) on 01899 221070.
|June to end of September|
|Daily||2pm - 5pm|
|Admission - Adults £1, Child 50p, Concession 50p. Parties outwith these times by arrangement|
|How to get here:|
|Map (provided by multimap.com): Click Here for Map|