Biggar Stories
Biggar and the House of Fleming
The dramatic story the House of Fleming in Biggar begins in the 14th century. It features murder and execution, loyalty and tragedy. The new narrative of the House of Fleming introduces many less well-known but highly significant figures.

Visit the museum to hear about their trials and escapades as they become inextricably caught up in the saga of Mary, Queen of Scots.

Look out for the reconstructed model of the Fleming family home in Biggar, Boghall Castle.
Temporary Exhibition
'When the Elephant Came to the Fair': The Work of James Howe. 1780-1836
July 28th - October 31st
Biggar Museum Trust is presenting the first ever exhibition devoted to the work of artist James Howe. This exhibition showcases paintings from private collections as well as our own collection and offers a glimpse into the life and work of this little-known artist.

Admission £3.00
Object of the Month
Thankerton Man
Meet ‘Thankerton Man’. This young man lived in Clydesdale over 4,000 years ago; his remains were radio-carbon dated to 2460 - 2140 BC. His skeleton was discovered in a stone cist at Boatbridge Quarry, Thankerton in 1970. He appeared to be an unusually tall young man, aged 18-25, and was found lying in a crouched position as if asleep. In 2015 his skull was used to reconstruct his head and face. Visit the museum to find out more about this young man and to learn about the process of facial reconstruction.
The Biggar & Upper Clydesdale Museum project

Biggar Museum Trust was formed in 1971 to take overall responsibility for the museums and collection built up by Brian Lambie and housed in a number of buildings in and around Biggar. In 2010 the Trustees decided that this important collection should be conserved and displayed in a way which would meet both contemporary museum standards and the expectations of visitors. A feasibility study was carried out in 2010 which recommended that a new purpose-built museum could be created on the site of the former Stephens Garage premises on Biggar High Street.

The local community had long supported the museums and raised £500,000 for the purchase of the site and towards initial project design costs.

Funding for the project was then sought from a variety of sources including private trusts and public funding bodies and the offer of a major grant from the Clyde Wind Farm Community Development Fund enabled the Trustees to put the project out to tender and to begin work.

The balance of funding to complete the project was to come from a second appeal to the local community and from the sale of surplus buildings.

Biggar & Upper Clydesdale Museum opened to visitors on 28 July 2015